|Home||The Origin of Royal Blue|
|General Village Info.|
King George 3rd (1760 to 1820) challenged clothiers nationwide to produce a
colour suitable for use by Royalty. Scutts Bridge mill
in Rode, where cloth for the royal liveries was already being made,
produced the winning colour. It was a very rich
blue, which became
known as 'The Royal Blue'. It was selected for a robe for Queen
Charlotte and King William 4th (1830 to 1837) gave a
certificate authorising its sale by that name.|
The Batten family owned this Mill in the 2nd half of the 18th C, then in the early 1800s it passed to the closely related Poole family. Brothers Henry and Thomas Poole were still there in 1839 according to the Tithe Apportionment of that year. They had also become the major land owners in the village and owned Northfield House, later rebuilt as Rode Manor by their successor, squire Robert Pooll Henry Batten Pooll.
Scutts Bridge Mill continued to operate until c1904 and is thought to be the last water driven factory manufacturing cloth.